February 2, 2008

This is just to say (that William Carlos Williams blows)

You know that horrible poet William Carlos Williams? I sure wish one of my high school friends had written a scathing parody to stick it to him and his stupid palindromic face.

Oh wait, one of them did. And I came across the 2001 Bowsprit while rummaging through my attic. (The original "poem" may be read here This Is Just To Say.)

This Is Just To Say (To William Carlos Williams)
By Brendan Dougherty

I have eaten
your poem
that was in
my literature book

and which
you were probably
saving
for rereading

Forgive me
it was delicious
so short
and so minimal

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol - I was just searching for stuff about this poem and came across your blog. I like your friend's version. Check out my favorite version on my blog asherman86.blogspot.com.