January 29, 2007

Wikipedathon



If you are at all like me, you are probably running out of new ways to waste time conduct important research on Wikipedia. Here is one to keep you occupied for a while:

1. Open up different two random articles in different tabs using the link on the left sidebar of any Wikipedian entry.
2. Get from the first page to the second in the shortest possible fashion.
3. I don't think I needed to number these, there were only two.

You must only move in one direction--that is to say, only from entry 1 to entry 2, not to some mutual middle point. That would be too easy. You draw a peripheral member of Swedish Parliament, you're stuck with him. As far as the use of catagories, I am as yet undecided.

Here is my example. Al Hodge > WBRU (the radio station I listened to growing up!)

Al Hodge
1943
John F. Kennedy
John F. Kennedy Jr.
Brown University
WBRU

Moving laterally through Wikipedia is an awe-inspiring exercise. In both the positive (sheer volume of organized and easily accessible knowledge!) and negative ("...another minor Babylon Five character?!") senses.

0 comments: